Having a hard time finding something in your price range and qualifying for more?
Did you know that Florida has a multitude of downpayment assistance programs? I personally used the Broward County Housing Finance & Community Redevelopment program for $45,000 in downpayment assistance on my home. •The programs are income qualified and restrictions vary by city and local programs but below is a little more information about the program in Broward County.
As someone who went through this process personally, I would be happy to walk you through the steps to homeownership. There are several moving parts to achieve elligibility in the program but it would be my pleasure to walk you through what I did.
In addition to down-payment assistance, the state has several programs that range from tax credits to full down-payment deferred second mortgages.
Contact me today or set up a buyer consultation.
Broward County Home Buyer Purchase Assistance
The Housing Finance and Community Redevelopment Division offers Home Buyer Purchase Assistance to qualified home buyers. Assistance is in the form of a deferred payment second mortgage up to $40,000 (or up to $50,000 for Davie, Plantation, Hollywood, and Weston), 0% interest, 15-year term. Funds are available on a first-come, first qualified, first-served basis.
- Take a Homebuyer Education class from a Certified HUD Approved Counseling Agency. For your convenience, here is a list of local agencies. (I personally used Oasis of Home CDC for my home: https://oasiscdc.org/)Program Features:
- Most areas up to $40,000 available (or up to $50,000 for Davie, Plantation. Weston- is up to $80,000)
- The buyer must contribute three percent (3%) of the purchase price, of which one percent (1%) must come from the buyer’s own funds and not be a gift or concession.
- A comprehensive Home Inspection report is required.
- You may purchase an existing home or a new construction home
- You must owner occupy the home as your primary residence.
- Eligible properties include single family residences, condominiums, villas and town homes located within Broward County service areas. Mobile homes and cooperatives are not eligible.
- Obtain a first mortgage approval from a lender or you can select a lender from the Participating Lenders List and contact them directly. If you are a lender and require the County’s Homebuyer Purchase Assistance Program Lender Guidelines, they are located on our home page under Programs. Also, be sure to ask about the Mortgage Credit Certificate Program. Your Homebuyer education class qualifies you for additional savings at tax time but it must be worked into the loan before you close.
- Eligible properties must be in one of the following areas: (Funding availability changes throughout the year)
- Unincorporated Broward County
- Cooper City
- Dania Beach
- Davie (no funds available)
- Hallandale Beach
- Hillsboro Beach
- Lauderdale by the Sea
- Lazy Lake Village
- Lighthouse Point
- Oakland Park
- Pembroke Park
- Sea Ranch Lakes
- Southwest Ranches
- West Park
- Wilton Manors
- Homebuyer’s gross annual household income must be certified by Broward County. Please review the Income Chart for the household size maximum income limits here: https://www.broward.org/Housing/Pages/homebuyer.aspx